Tuesday, July 31, 2018

How to Play Fingerstyle on Ukulele

How to Play Fingerstyle on Ukulele


Welcome!

In this blog post we will learn how to play the ukulele in fingerstyle. I will be using the techniques that I learned in my classical guitar class, so you will use a tiny little bit of Spanish. Scroll down to learn the names of the fingers and scroll even further down to watch the tutorial videos

FAQ

Do I need nails for this to work? Yes and no.
If you have nails, your strings will sound louder. If you dont have long nails, your strings will sound softer. The muscle memory for this, however, is the same for both long nails and short nails. If you want to grow strong, healthy nails, I recommend you use jojoba oil on your cuticles (daily) http://amzn.to/2wNolh5

Finger Names

P: Pulgar - Thumb
I: Indice - Index finger
M: Medio - Middle finger
A: Anular - Ring finger

Funny how we dont call it a "thumb finger," but we do add the word "finger" to the ends of the other ones. Anyway, lets continue! You will assign each of your fingers to a string. Each finger MUST ONLY pluck the string that it is assigned to!

String G - P
String C - I
String E - M
String A - A

Or think about it this way:
String G - Thumb
String C - Index
String E - Middle
String A - Ring

I know that seeing the English names of the strings is A LOT easier right now, but challenge yourself to learn their PIMA names and grow familiar with them, because I will NOT include them in future lessons! (As a teacher, I have to take the training wheels off, so dont judge me).


Pro Tip

How long should I practice? 5 minutes 4 times a day. 
Why not just practice 20 minutes? I find that my students retain information and build muscle memory much better when we practice more often in shorter spans of time! Practice every day until I release the next video. 



Fingerstyle Lesson 1 P I M A



Go to C chord
Play P I M A (4 times)
Rest
Repeat


Fingerstyle Lesson 2 P I M A M I P 



Go to C chord
Play P I M A M I (4 times)
Rest
Repeat


Fingerstyle Lesson 3 P - I - MA



Go to C chord
Play P - I - MA (4 times)
Rest
Repeat


Fingerstyle Lesson 4 P - I - MA - I - P


Go to C Chord
Play P - I - MA - I - P (4 times)
Rest
Repeat


Fingerstyle Lesson 5 P - I - M - I - A


Go to C Chord
Play P - I - M - I - A (4 times)
Rest
Repeat









go to link download

No comments:

Post a Comment