Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Story Telling

Stories are something that weve all grown up with. Theyre personal, and have emotions that go along with the story that a non-fiction text could never ever bring. Expressing a story through a drawing? Well, thats a whole different thing. They say a picture is worth 1,000 words, and with the help of my book I hope that thats the impression that I will achieve.

In the book Fantasy Art Drawing Skills by Socar Myles, she mentions that one way to start telling a story would be to express your ideas instead of keeping them in (96). This means drawing your idea out on a piece of paper. One idea I had in mind, would be the story of two robots. I didnt really give much attention to detail, I just drew whatever came into my mind when I thought of a female and a male robot.


The next step, is drawing with a purpose. Socar Myles mentions, "In the best of illustrations, nothing is without purpose. Every element, whether descriptive or symbolic, makes sense; everything contributes" (96). One element I decided to add to my picture would be a heart near both of my robots chest. It gives a child-like aspect to the picture, and in my opinion is cute as it seems like theyre "falling in love" as robots.

 
 



A second element to contribute to the drawing would be the background. I think that by having these two walk down a path together in the forest, it seems more personal. It makes it seem like they chose to be together, away from society so that they could spend time with one another.





I think that overall, my drawing tells a decent story. Im not a professional drawer, but Im still pretty proud of what I created. As a final question, what kinds of stories do you look for in drawings (for example a romantic one, a sad one, a scary one)? What elements do you think attract you to those kinds of drawings?

Citation
Myles, Socar. Fantasy Art Drawing Skills. N.p.: Barrons Educational Series,
     2012. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment