Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Sketching the Neck

I have been drawing since I was in 5th grade--perhaps longer. Since then, art has became my passion and I cannot go through a day without doodling something. Course of the years, I was not exactly into illustrating realism art, and personally, it is difficult for myself to draw it. 

So instead, I began drawing, Anime 
(A style of Japanese film and television animation, typically aimed at adults as well children.)



[Image above]
These are primarily the tools I use to illustrate my art.
- Plain notebook
- Wooden Pencil / Mechanical Pencil
- Eraser

 I first discovered anime when I was younger, and I was infatuated by its artistry--so when I began drawing Anime, it was at a pretty moderate level for me, I did not have to be too precise on the body structure. I just needed to make sure it looked like a human. I did have some difficulties into drawing of the human anatomy (I am still in the process of trying to educate myself more on the human anatomy) 

Ive purchased this book, "Drawing People for the Absolute Beginner."
This book came in with numerous instruction on how to draw the human structures and included some tips / advices on what kind of instrument of tools you should use to draw for your ability.

I skimmed through the book, and found a page that I really needed. 
"Female Head, Neck, and Shoulder.". I have a difficult time in drawing the neck--it would come off too skinny, board, and et cetera. 

  

I began quickly sketching my character--but only illustrating the head and the hair.
Then I estimated how wide I want to portray the neck. 
(But some-what skinny, since I am drawing a female. Not a male.)

1.

"Shape the Hair, Neck, and Shoulders.
Sketch the shape of the hair and define the form of the neck and shoulders." -- pg 45
I followed the instruction and softly outline where I believe the collarbone is and sketch where the females neck is in cave slightly in the center of it.

2.

This is where I add more details into the neck, so it is more definite. I have included a small shadow underneath its neck--to make the head look more outward, not glued to her throat. It was kind of a struggle lightly shadowing the neck, because you need to make sure it is visibly there, but simultaneously try not make it too depth.

3.

I liked how the drawing turned out.
The sketch took some time, but it was fun drawing! Because I was able to increase my ability in drawing the "neck". I was able to add more details into the neck. Even though the book was mainly aimed at realistic drawings, but it did in fact, help me stricture the neck and add more depth into it.

Do you believe I should have included more details into the neck?
It is fairly simple sketching the neck, but the neck is an 
significant supplement to the human body


No comments:

Post a Comment