Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Luke I Am Your Father!

Dear friends,

You may not know this but I am a huge fan of Star Wars ever since I was a wee lass. On May 25, 1977 the audiences worldwide saw Star Wars for the first time. Back then, it wasnt known as Episode IV: A New Hope, audiences saw Han Solo shoot first, there was no Jabba the Hutt and Darth Vader was just a bad guy who killed Luke Skywalker’s father. When they filmed the first part they did not think it would be such a success, yet what a phenomenon it create!
Picture Taken In My First Year In Krakow, In Kazimierz :)
Here are my own reasons for watching Star Wars and if you think I am very un-lady like please remember that I was - and still am - quite a tomboy!
  • The Ships - X-Wings, TIE Fighters, the Death Star, the Star Destroyers and the Millennium Falcon have been my dream-ships for a very long while, ever since I was somewhere in 2nd grade (that was when I saw Star Wars for the first time). I always wished I could fly one around and I always was drawing them - the X-Wing was one of my first drawings, along with R2 D2 :) Did you actually know that the Millennium Falcon was designed by George Lucas while he was eating his hamburger?! (Millennium Falcon is actually a hamburger with a olive on the side... Now would you look at that?!).
  • The Technology - Come on, lets be serious, who wouldnt like to own a lightsaber?! Even if it would be only for cutting the bread or slicing an orange... How slick would that be? Not to mention the droids - be it companions like C3PO who would help you with hundreds if not thousands of foreign languages, or helpful little ones like R2 D2. Shall I also mention the full body mechanism that keeps Darth Vader alive?
  • Sir Alec Guiness - Although he hated the idea that he became known more for Obi-Wan Kenobi than his other roles later in life I still believe this was one of his best. It is true, back then there was no technique into the lightsaber fighting (as it was developed later on, especially in the prequels) but his acting skills are remarcable and for me he will always be THE Obi Wan :)
  • The Amazing Duo of Han Solo and Chewbacca - Come on! Lets face it, they are the best smugglers in the entire universe and noone knows better how to shoot than Han (ok, maybe except Princess Leia, who never misses a target!) or fly the Falcon through the most impossible places you could ever imagine! And Chewbacca (I am really happy to see him in the prequels, being friends with Yoda!) is fantastic transforming from a cuddly friend to an opozing threat to the ones who endanger his friends. And did I mention I had a crush already on Harrison Ford for seeing him as Indiana Jones, oh well this did not help at all! :)))
  • Yoda - The one and only ultimate Master Jedi that is the most known and quotable person in the movie. Of course it is worldwide known his awesome way of speaking and more awesome lightsaber fight in the Attack Of The Clones & Revenge Of The Sith! His most memorable quote for me is: Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. Suffering leads to death.”
  • Darth Vader - He is the one who appears in all the top 10 of the worst & most evil movie characters (changing between 1st, 2nd and 3rd place but never lower ;) and somewhere next to The Joker, Hannibal Lecter and The Emperor from Star Wars). He is the big badass of this movie and he steals the scene everytime he is on the screen. It was a huge shock for me to watch the VIth part, seeing Luke taking off his mask, seeing him scarred and breathless... He is the ultimate bad guy - let us just count all the dead people after him. He kills Obi Wan, Lukes mentor + he kills Lukes father, well that basically means that he kills himself but you get to find that later on + he kills Lukes friends and aunt/uncle, not directly, but still... 
  • C3PO and R2 D2 - The most perfect couple of sidekicks the cinema has ever seen! They always reminded me of Stan & Bran and I love their totally different personalities. C3PO is all "Master Luke this, Master Luke that" and he has this perfect and impacable manner of being, but he is terrible afraid of fights and altercations of any sort! He is a protocol droid programmed to know thousand of languages, not to fight in space. On the other had R2 D2 is an adorable small white-blue droid, programmed for helping inside the spaceships/shuttles and including repairing during attacks. If ever a droid would have a heart, R2 D2s would be as big as he is! He is the one who continuosly pulls everyone out of trouble and as Luke said he is a lucky little droid ;)
  • A Classic - It is needless to mention that the movie(s) is/are a classic just like The Godfather of Gone With The Wind or even the Indiana Jones movies. For me, it is something I grew up with. It is one of the things that my Dad told me about as he was the one who took me to the first movie. I was a wee lass and I did not understand much but I found everything so fascinated that when I came home I started drawing the things I have seen, just to remember them...
  • Multiple gender attraction - Some may say that Star Wars is science fiction only but a dare to contradict! It is a beautiful combination of fantasy, science-fiction, action, adventure and of course romance. Everyone can have their pick and find something interesting in the original 3 movies or in the prequels.
  • The Beautiful & Complex Story - Behind all the 6 parts there is an intricate web of stories and characters that develop during the action. Although George wanted to do always a prequel at the time the first part was released this was not possible due to the technology needed. You can realise that when you look at the difference between IV-VI and I-III. People prefer watching the movies chronologically: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi before going on to watch The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith. I suggest watching at least once from The Phantom to The Return - see how the love story between Anakin and Padme starts and see how Luke and Leia get sepparated.
  • The Music - The Soundtrack... needless to say it is perfect and I could hear it over and over again. For a very long while it was my ringtone and my wakeup alarm and my message sound. The Imperial March will always be very close to my heart!
Now there are a lot of reasons why you should watch these movies and I would be able to write a book on that with all my childhood stories connected - like when I saved money to by the Star Wars book on the first 3 aired movies, or when I bough the first movie-book of The Phantom Menace, or when I went with my dad to the movie and then later on when I went by myself as back home in Romania Star Wars was not that popular, tell you the truth... - but you need to find these reasons yourself and you need to decide for yourself if you will like it or not. But I say you should at least give it a try - both with the old and the new series :)

Yours truly,
A LadyBug that always loved Star Wars :)

No comments:

Post a Comment